Monday, 28 April 2008

Whither me?

Me @ Duomo di Firenze, 2007

After roughly 3 more months I will be coming to the end of my 3rd year in my 4-year engineering course. I'm kinda approaching a crossroads in my life. Which is why I made a promise to myself earlier this year that I'll make a decision by the end of this year (preferably earlier) on where I'll go after graduation.

I've more or less narrowed down my options to these 3 sectors:
1. Engineering
2. Banking/Finance (option 'inspired' by Eric)
3. Foreign Service/Ambassadorial (option suggested by Jiinjoo)

Of course the first step to take is to know more about each. Recently i've been focusing particularly on the Banking sector, going for asset/wealth management talks, investment talks and the like. Some people find it strange, or downright a waste of time, for an engineering undergraduate to go into banking.

Well first of all I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do when I entered uni, so to continue going down the engineering path may not exactly be the right path.

Secondly, I was terribly ignorant about banking, business etc. (and didn't bother to find out more) before I entered uni. Blame it on poor financial knowledge. It was after taking the Business Finance module that I found business, banking, finances etc. to actually be something that I can probably engage in.

And lastly, engineering pays are well known to usually not commensurate with the professional education that engineers have gone through.

Nevertheless, for whatever I choose to do later, these few aspects must be taken care of:
1. A reasonable pay
2. Opportunities to work overseas; international environment
3. Opportunities where my language skills can be put to good use
4. Good opportunities to advance; promotions

But now my main focus would be to gain work experience from my internship and complete my university education with first class honours.

Despite the uncertainties, the future looks bright and I'm lovin each day =)

2 comments:

jiinjoo said...

banking is kinda dead now... so you're left with 2 options teehee.

fei.pang said...

Yeah. Haha... well, now I'm casting a wider net.